Student Osteopathic Medical Association—SOMA
SOMA’s mission is to improve the quality of health care delivery to the American people and the world. We plan to do this through contributing to the welfare and education of osteopathic medical students, as well as establishing lines of communication with other health science students and organizations. We strive to familiarize our members with the purpose and ideals of osteopathic medicine to prepare them to meet the social, moral, and ethical obligations of the osteopathic medical profession, and to ultimately promote Osteopathic ideals and unity within our profession.
- Meetings with Residency Directors
◦ Get answers to your questions and help to achieve your goals
- Monthly Activities
◦ Expert speakers on key topics every student physician should know. Potlucks, sports field days, picnics, ethnic food nights, 3rd year panel discussion, swag giveaways, and much more.
- Monthly Journal Club
◦ Physician-led Board Relevant Topics discussed over a club-provided lunch
◦ Numerous member-only offerings
- Research/Internship Opportunities Database
◦ A bank of resources to guide you in your quest for extracurricular activities
◦ Histology Review
- TOUCH Point Opportunities:
◦ Quigley Foundation Fundraiser
▪ Raise funds for the late Seton Hill Women’s Lacrosse coach’s family
▪ Volunteer as sports coach for special needs children
◦ Delete Blood Cancer
▪ Bone marrow donation drive, annually.
- National and State Conventions
◦ Learn from the best DOs in the country and collaborate with national peers
- D.O. Day on Capitol Hill
◦ Travel to D.C. to lobby your congressmen for legislation which directly affects your future practice and patient care
- National Osteopathic Medicine Week
◦ Awareness campaign sharing what it means to be an osteopathic physician; share message to friends on Facebook and updated cover photos with “I love DOs”
CLICK HERE TO JOIN NOW: https://www.studentdo.com/join/
SOMA accepts student registrations on a continuous rolling basis. Join now and get the most from your student organization. Whether you are an incoming OMSI or exploring your second year, we have services and information that will aid you and enable you to help your peers!
Lily Roth | President
Andrew Damron | Vice President
Nicole Liebman | Treasurer
Katie Lynch | Secretary
Daniel Ogas | National Liaison Officer
Brian Flynn | Outreach Chair
John Derek Van Vessem | Community Engagement Chair
PreSOMA Chair | Logan Uptegrove
Natusko Yamagata | Campus Liaison Chair
SOMA Leadership from all three of our campuses came together to represent LECOM at the 2019 DO Day on the Hill.